Extract from Issue#28 of Teaching Tuesdays@CSU
All issues of Teaching Tuesdays can be accessed through the folder at this link
Strategies for Increasing Response Rates
Strategies for Increasing Response Rates for Online End-of-Course Evaluations
By Diane Chapman & Jeffrey Joines (2017)
The big three:
1. Talk about the importance of SES in your classroom or in the online forums and modules
2. Work to create a climate that reflects mutual respect between instructor and students.
3. Tell students how you use SES feedback to modify your subject.
4. Send announcements through Interact2/Blackboard asking students to complete the SES.
5. Send personal emails asking students to complete the SES.
6. Include statements on the subject outline about SES and its importance in your class.
7. For face-to-face classes, encourage students to bring laptops/tablets/ smartphones to class (or go to a computer lab) and allow time for students to complete the SES.
8. Offer a mid-session evaluation for students to give feedback and then use that feedback to modify aspects of the subject.
9. Forward an email from your Head of School about the importance of SES to the subject and the institution.
10. Evoke student responsibility for helping to create better learning environments through their SES responses